Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [freeciv-dev] Q re image files.

To: bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [freeciv-dev] Q re image files.
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:40:30 +1000 (EST)

Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> I added some images to units.xpm this evening, mostly by using The GIMP

> However, the resulting file is absolutely huge, and it takes a long time
> to load into the client.  I presume this is because the stretch-shrink
> cycle unintentionally added a lot of fine detail.

I'm guessing its because you didn't re-index the colours afterwards;
the cvs xpm's generally have about 64 colours, and xpm's get really
huge if you have thousands/millions of colours.

Use the current tiles.xpm from cvs, generate an optimised palette
using the GIMP, save it, and then convert your modified image to
indexed colours using that palette.

Incidently, if you are not doing so, it would probably be a good
idea to use the original xcf files (available from the web pages
(ftp?)) as a base, since they have the original full colour and
so look better when later indexed.  (The default palette is also
available there somewhere, although you can re-create it yourself
as above.)

Regards,
-- David