Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [freeciv-dev] Q re image files.

To: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: - freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [freeciv-dev] Q re image files.
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:07:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> However, the resulting file is absolutely huge, and it takes a long time
> to load into the client.  I presume this is because the stretch-shrink
> cycle unintentionally added a lot of fine detail.

It because the GIMP ends up adding lots and lots of colors when you shrink an
image.  When XPM files have more than a certain number of colors, they get
very big.  Convert them into an index file with X colors first, then save.  32
or 64 colors is a good number.  More doesn't really improve the image much.