Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv - proxy idea (fwd)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv - proxy idea (fwd)
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:52:49 -0400

> From: Tim Loshak <dima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> i though about
> proxying the data transmittions via http/socks, or actually build stand-alone
> proxy, for freeciv only - alike the distributed.net project.

An HTTP proxy would probably too clumsy except for people who have no
other choice.  HTTP was designed for single queries -- "give me *this*
data, *now*".  The Freeciv server needs to be able to send data to the
client at arbitrary times (messages from other players, enemy units
attacking, etc.), not just respond to client requests -- so it needs a
permanent communications channel.

I don't know much about SOCKS, but I think a SOCKSified Freeciv client
could be feasible.  (Actually, now that I think about it, I'm a bit
surprised it hasn't come up before.  Or maybe it has, before I started
reading the mailing list.)  Unless I'm mistaken, there wouldn't even
need to be any server-side changes...?

As for a standalone proxy -- are you referring to the "personal proxy"
used in the distributed.net scheme?  Keep in mind that the "perproxy"
doesn't actually give you any additional options in terms of connectivity --
it still has to connect to the real key servers through normal means.
All it does for you is act as a buffer so that all your requests go
through a single channel.  I don't see how this would be helpful for
Freeciv.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.