Re: [Freeciv-Dev] PATCH: "Goto" mouse cursor

To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] PATCH: "Goto" mouse cursor
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:05:33 -0800 (PST)

On 17 Mar 1999, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this patch adds a special "goto" mouse cursor if you press 'g', so you
> don't send units accidentally when pressing it mistakenly.
>
> It would be nice if somebody could test it and check it in.
>
> The patch removes some lines that seem to be obsolete, namely an array
> XColor colors[MAX_COLORS]. I'm pretty sure the're not needed.

Good idea.  I noticed a couple of things though.

You don't need to use globals to store the color values of black and white, as
XLib has macros, BlackPixel and WhitePixel, which can be used to get them.

Why include the xbm files with the distribution?  They are only needed when
compiling the client, not when running it.  It also might be a good idea to
move them to the client directory and out of data, as this keeps the client
from compiling with the non-autoconf building methods.

Some X servers can't handle large cursors, the standard X cursors are 16x16,
while this one is 32x32.  The actual cursor is still 16x16, but you have a big
blank border around it.

Instead of drawing a new cursor, you could just use one of the cursors from
the X cursor font.  It's much simpler and has a certain UI consistency.  I
would suggest the circle, target, or tcross cursors.