Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Something that really bugs me

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Something that really bugs me
From: Robert Donn <squirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:13:50 +1300

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 02:36:11PM +1300, Kris Bubendorfer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have no idea where or how the code that automatically selects the next
> thing
> to build works, but I am totally sick of it selecting capitalisation.
>
> This is a particular problem, as capitalisation is never finishes, and thus
> cities stay producing it forever.
>
> Normally I am quite happy for it to choose it's own `next project' except
> that
> I am always wasting lots of time going through the city list changing from
> capitalisation to ANYTHING else.

How about an SMAC-style option on each city:
                         [Explore]     [Discover]     [Build]     [Conquer]
which sets the default production choices along a theme - this way
Capitalisation would only be 'auto-built' when the city was in [Build] mode,
after everything else available had been built.

The build Queue is another feature from SMAC that would probably be good (in
fact I believe it's been brought up before, maybe even with a patch), but
that would require more effort, I would assume.

Of course, a 'smart' E/D/B/C system would have to consider things like
whether it's worth building a Barracks before all the military units when in
Conquer mode, or whether to not build a Settler when in Explore mode until
after at least some defense unit has been built.

But I don't think a 'smart' system is of as much importance as just having
the options.

My two cents (would be more, but I don't grok Xaw coding).

--
Robert Donn
"IBM don't make nonstandard things.  People just cloned them wrong."