Re: [Freeciv-Dev] PATCH: "Goto" mouse cursor

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] PATCH: "Goto" mouse cursor
From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 Mar 1999 19:53:09 +0100

    Trent> On 17 Mar 1999, Falk Hueffner wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> this patch adds a special "goto" mouse cursor if you press 'g',
    >> so you don't send units accidentally when pressing it
    >> mistakenly.

    Trent> You don't need to use globals to store the color values of
    Trent> black and white, as XLib has macros, BlackPixel and
    Trent> WhitePixel, which can be used to get them.

Sure, but the CreateCursor function insists on getting *colors*, not
pixels. How do I get a color from BlackPixel?

    Trent> Why include the xbm files with the distribution?  They are
    Trent> only needed when compiling the client, not when running it.

Uhm, I thought they were not installed. EXTRA_DIST only means it gets
into the .tar.gz when doing "make dist". I haven't tested that,
though.

    Trent> Some X servers can't handle large cursors, the standard X
    Trent> cursors are 16x16, while this one is 32x32.  The actual
    Trent> cursor is still 16x16, but you have a big blank border
    Trent> around it.

Ok, I could do that.

    Trent> Instead of drawing a new cursor, you could just use one of
    Trent> the cursors from the X cursor font.  It's much simpler and
    Trent> has a certain UI consistency.  I would suggest the circle,
    Trent> target, or tcross cursors.

Right, I didn't think of that, that is probably the best solution and
solves all other mentioned problems immediately :) What do other folks
think?

        Falk