Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Capability code

To: Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Capability code
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:49:51 +1100

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Kris Bubendorfer wrote:
>
> > I'm confused.  I though the idea was to use the capability
> > code for backwards compatability

Capabilities are so that versions of the same series (say, 1.7.x)
can talk to each other.  One of the motivations for making a new
major version is when things have changed so much that it's not
possible for the old and the new to talk to each other.

"plussed" capabilities are a good way of enforcing that both
sides of a conversation are of the same major family.

> > Now it looks to me like the current capability string of 1.8pre2 is `plused'
> > which means we are back in effect to the nasty old `version' days, as you
> > need
> > THIS version.....

These versions are "pre" snapshots.  They represent what 1.8.0
will be like when it is finally released.  For this, we want to
start with a plain "+1.8".  If the "pre" versions didn't have
a plus, they wouldn't represent the planned 1.8.  And of course,
you always have the option of hacking the capability strings
to whatever you want in your version.

> Yes, please do.  It is only at major release times that
> capabiltiies will be compacted.

David has hit the nail on the head.  For a major release,
we dump all of the capabilities for the previous series,
and start again, with one "plussed" capability for that
series.

Regards,

Mitch.
--