Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: a bit better easy level

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: a bit better easy level
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:10:15 -0300

On Mar 12, Daniel Sjolie decided to present us with:

> The easiest AI should not be for bad players but for players
> who want to check the game out for the first time...
> This would be a "training" AI of sorts...

I have a crazy idea. What about a "tutor" AI? An AI that not
only is easy, but pays attention to the way you're playing and
points your weaknesses to you (by messages). You would turn an
AI into a "tutor" with a different command, eg
tutor caesar

During the game you could receive messages like

Caesar: Mao, I was able to conquer Shangai because it was
unprotected. You could have seen my units approaching it and
still you didn't react.

or

Game: Now researching Combustion
Caesar: Mao, perhaps you should instead research xxx because
your situation is yyy and so xxx would help you in yyy way.

If I'm understanding the way you're programming the server-side
AIs, I think this should be doable, right? What do others think?

[As a GNU/Linux "evangelist" I find a good game like FreeCiv a
very good tool to catch newbies, but there must be some way for
them to learn it... those in the list for a little longer will
remember my tale of installing Debian on my then-girlfriend's
computer mostly because of FreeCiv ;-)]

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----