Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Before release of 1.8.0

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Before release of 1.8.0
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:48:32 +0100

  Dear Freeciv leader :)

> Dear Freeciv team,
>
>       here what i think is important to do before release of 1.8.0 :

> Just one question: what should the default map generator be?
> I think the present default is too hard on newsbies, the chance
> of starting on the same island with an enemy is too high.
> What about making generator = 3 the default?

This is pretty much the standard for human-to-human games already.
My vote is yes.

> When the client senses that the server is
> gone, it should close all child windows so that this can't happen.

Didn't know about the coredump, but this problem was signalled before.

My wishes are for two simple code patches:

  + make civserver print the URL http://www.freeciv.org/ on startup
  + replace -n option with -m which has the opposite meaning

These can be taken from my cmdline patch,

  http://cursus02.win.tue.nl:4321/tmp/freeciv/feb28+cmdline.diff-Nur.gz

They are just a few lines of code in server/civserver.c and I'd be very
grateful if they were included.

95% of servers appearing on the metaserver are started by newbies
who have never played a game and do not realise that a metaserver exists.
On 50% of those, a human player never arrives; sometimes they continue to
run unhosted for days on end; often a game suddenly starts without
any kind of check who is connected.  If a human does arrive, I usually
have to explain how to start the server ("type 's' to the server
prompt"), how I found the server, where to find tutorials, etc. etc.

--
Reinier