[Freeciv-Dev] Before release of 1.8.0

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Before release of 1.8.0
From: Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:26:27 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Freeciv team,

        here what i think is important to do before release of 1.8.0 :

- In HOWTOPLAY
        add a html link to our good players advices
        add a html link to David King client/server HOWTO

- In INSTALL, i don't see anything to change.

- In NEWS, i forgot ruleset !
I want to put ruleset and add a link to README.ruleset .

- In AUTHOR, people want back authors who participate both the 1.7.2
and 1.8.0 version. Ok.

- in README we no more lack Space Race ! ( thx David and Falk )
        Commands of the game have to be updated.
        The exemples are no longer pertinent.
        have to check if "Gregurabi's Twelve Steps to World
        Domination" can still be found.

        3) A player builds and launches a spaceship, which reaches Alpha
            Centauri first.  (Not available yet, but coming soon)
        Does it end the game ?

        Address the email to "freeciv-dev"
        the address is incomplete

        Have to check how to subscribe to our mailing
        list.

BUGS
 - The explain for generator 2 doesn't match what generator 2
actually does. It looks like, in the new version of mapgen,
  generator 2 doesn't generate only one island per player.
   if (map.landpercent > 85) {
      map.generator = 1;
     return;
   } may explain this.

Just one question: what should the default map generator be?
I think the present default is too hard on newsbies, the chance
of starting on the same island with an enemy is too high.
What about making generator = 3 the default?

I think it's a good idea !

- ship accidentially attack enemy cities while doing goto
   somewhere. I have a patch to fix this but I'm not sure it's
   complete.
 - Apollo program bug displays cities that no longer exist
   (conclusion: Apollo should make all squares be seen?)
 - submarine visibility bug

I was playing a game with 1.8.0pre1 this weekend.  when I was done, I
quit the server before I quit the client.  The client noticed that the
server was dead and went back to that login screen.  However, it did
not close one of the city windows I had open.  Curious about this, I
clicked on the city window icon on my task bar.  This caused the
client to quickly dump core.

Is this a known problem?  When the client senses that the server is
gone, it should close all child windows so that this can't happen.

And the last one about the bribe cost.

Any reaction is welcome,