Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wish I knew this guy...

To: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Matt Busigin <jediknight@xxxxxxxxx>, Hrothgar <hrothgar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wish I knew this guy...
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:53:49 -0500

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 11:29:55AM +1100, Mitch Davis was heard to say:
> Matt Busigin wrote:
> >
> > Honestly, I havn't a clue why people want different graphics.  IMnsHO,
> > FreeCiv graphics looks great.  Am I leading a horribly sheltered life, or
> > what?
>
> Yes Matt, you've been living under a rock, and we've all been
> huddling in there with you.
>
> If you want to see **nice** *civ graphics, have a look at
> Great Nations.
>
>   http://gn.gameshock.com
>
> Boy, what I would give to have Jani Wilen working for us!!
>
> Regards,
>
> Mitch.

  Hmm.  I just looked at some screenshots from their site.  The cities and
units look icky (IMO), but the terrain is pretty, especially in isometric mode
(the units are ok in isometric also).  I was particularly interested by the fact
that they seem to allow mixing of land types--for example, I saw hills
sitting on top of 'plains' _and_ 'grasslands' (I assume done by drawing hills
and then superimposing them on grasslands).  That sounds like a very nice
feature to add once Freeciv gets its current issues straightened out. (I
personally think that the GTK+ client and greater usability/attractiveness
should be major goals in the next release; the graphics are a start but the
UI itself could probably use some work--relocation of widgets etc. )

  Mixing terrain types brings in some pretty interesting gameplay ideas
too...I don't even think I have to enumerate them here :-)

  Daniel

--
  "Cogito, ergo sum."