[Freeciv-Dev] xpm, gif, png & map view!

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] xpm, gif, png & map view!
From: "Martin Willemoes Hansen" <martin_w_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 21:11:24 -0000

Hi Freecivers!

This is what Ralf Engels has to say of the difference
between xpm, gif and png.

xpm: easy to use but not compressed
gif: standard fileformat, compressed, alpha channel but
needs a licence
png: same as gif but no licence needed.

Umh some one mentioned that the png format would only
give a little size reduction, which is true now, but
if features tiles is going to use more than 64 colors
it will give a huge size reduction especialy when
using 16 bit graphics.

About the Civ II world map look. I think it is a good
idea that Freeciv would move over to such a look, but
I guess it should be a option so the ppl with 4bit
displays and 640x480 can use the client with
satisfaction.

btw the timeline is on the web now! Hope to get some
help with it .. I dont have all the dates right heh.

Best regards

Martin Willemoes Hansen

E-Mail  martin_w_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IRC     Dr_nick | irc.stampede.org #stampede
ICQ     11597690

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums