Re: [Freeciv-Dev] xpm, gif, png & map view!

To: Matt Busigin <jediknight@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] xpm, gif, png & map view!
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 19:10:55 +1100

Matt Busigin wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Stephen Hodge wrote:
> #Aren't we trying to aim at more than just UNIX/X systems? I think png would
> #be a better choice.
>
> That logic is flawed.  That's like saying "Oh, we're trying to aim at more
> then UNIX/X systems with our game - let's use BMP".  Image format doesn't
> hurt portability, but moving from XPM has a number of disadvantages.

That's not really what I meant. My point was that xpm being the UNIX/X
standard is not a reason to use it in FreeCiv's case because it's not aimed
at UNIX/X alone. I like png because it is loosely based on the Amiga's IFF
format, and it has a good compression algorithm without licencing, patent,
or copyright issues.

> Compressing XPMs are simple.

Of course.

Regards,