RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Settlers can mine and irrigate a tile at the same tim

To: <ard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Settlers can mine and irrigate a tile at the same time.
From: "Todd Goodman" <tsg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:48:11 -0500

[SNIP]

> 2: If you let a settler work on a terrain tile for some
> turns, then stop
>    and restart it, its activity count is reset to zero and it
> must start
>    again.  Is this desirable?  After irrigating a jungle four
> 14 turns it
>    would be a wrist-slitting event to accidentally click on your
>    settler.
>
>    Similarly, it would be handy to half-irrigate a tile, pop off for a
>    spot of road building or to avoid an enemy navy, then
> recommence the
>    irrigation.  Does Civ ("PayCiv"?) allow this?

The code related to this was a well known bug in CIV1.  Basically, you
could get settlers to do things twice as fast by waiting to the end of
your turn (while the settler was doing something, say irrigating), then
you selected the settler to activate and then tell it to do that same
thing again.  You would get credit for two turns worth of irrigation in
that same turn.

To answer your real question, I don't believe CIV1 let you leave the square
without resetting the counter.

I find the ability to harass an enemies settlers along a coast into giving
up the work they're doing a nice feature of the game.

[SNIP]

Todd