Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv graphics and overhead view
From: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx (Alexandre BERAUD)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:02:08 +0100 (MET)

Patrick Edson wrote:

>It seems to me that no matter how pretty and "3D" the tiles
>are made with shading/shadows/etc... it cannot alleviate the
>fact that view of the map is from directly overhead.
>
>I think that as much as pretty graphics, the fact the Civ II
>view is a pseudo perspective view, i.e. the tiles, and thus, the
>landscape are skewed, makes a huge difference.

It is right that isometric format is better looking and allows drawing
shadows and so on... And in fact, for example, my wonders are drawn in
a somewhat perspective shape. But I think we shouldn't change the actual
top-view format.
The reasons are: As you said, it would be a big mount of work. Second
reason: I had a lot of fun playing CivI on my old 16 colors Atari ST
and when I discovered CivII, I couldn't enjoy it as much as the older
one. I think the top view is more like a satellit view or something like
that and you can really "see" what's happening. With isometric represen-
tation, you must calculate in mind what is where and I think it's quite
disturbing.

Bye.

Alexandre BERAUD
(Maybe I should not have discovered Philosophy :o))