Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 1.8.0 and network byte order

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 1.8.0 and network byte order
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:13:47 +1100

David Pfitzner wrote:

> So this protects new servers from old clients.  I don't
> know how to fix the case of new clients connection to
> old servers, since there the client initiates, and the
> old server accepts the initial connection (at the socket
> level) but never processes the join_game packet because
> of the wrong length.  And the client never gets back
> anything to work with.   Maybe some timer in the new
> client that if it doesn't get a reply after some time
> it breaks the connection?

Come to think of it, regardless of this particular problem,
shouldn't the client say _something_ to the user when it
gets a positive join game reply from the server?  At the
moment all that happens (if the game hasn't yet started)
is the connect dialog disappears, and some menus activate.

If it said something like:

  "Connected to server; waiting for server to start the game"

that might also help those people who don't realize to
press "s" in the server.  (This would only be necessary if
the game hasn't yet started, of course.)

-- David