Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wonder tiles

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wonder tiles
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:14:38 +1100

Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

> This is my view on how the wonder tiles should be
> handled.
>
> They should show up in:

> 3. On the map, to like be better than the original
> civ versions, also it adds a lot of realisem.

I dislike the idea of having wonders on the map, for
several reasons:
- there won't always be suitable available tiles
  (eg, for cities on small islands);
- it won't always be clear which city the wonder
  belongs to;
- main map tiles are already crowded, with terrain,
  specials, roads, rails, forts, pollution, ...
- it would suggest that if, eg, you put a unit on
  the wonder square, you could "capture" the wonder
  without capturing the city.

For the last point, you could change the rules so that
in some ways the wonder really is separate from the city,
as some have suggested, but that would be a fairly
significant change from Civ/Civ2.

Regards,
-- David