Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Downloadable Modules

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Downloadable Modules
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:36:23 +1100

Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   Is there any possibility that after Freeciv gets some of its immmediate
> problems (graphics, rulesets, CivII compatibility) out of the way, a
> 'cleanup release' could be made which doesn't add any new features but
> cleans up the code and program structure significantly?

Yes, that's a possibility.  The current immediate plan is to
release 1.8.0 (current cvs, with maybe some recent patches still
to go in, and maybe still some tileset changes), and then
integrate the GTK+/Xaw version.

But "code cleanup" tends to be less interesting work than
adding new features, and structural changes are less ameanable
to a Bazaar approach with lots of contributors.  So it may
depend whether some individuals have the time/motivation/ability.

Probably better is to try to make incremental local and
structural improvements.  These do happen from time to time,
and can be more easily made without disrupting other ongoing
development.

As far as I'm concerned submitted patches which do code cleanup
are generally welcome (though preferably after the above immediate
goals), but there are some hazards involved, such as differences
 of opinion on whether a given change is really an improvement
or not.  So just make sure the improvement is obvious, well
thought out, and/or well argued. :-)

Regards,
-- David