Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Newbie: My ideas

Cc: Free Civ dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Newbie: My ideas
From: Matt Busigin <jediknight@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:30:19 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Marian Schubert wrote:

#Hi guys,
#
#I had found FreeCiv last friday and I'm realy happy that there are people
#whitch are making game like this for Linux, because i had been also working
#on the strategy game(like DuneII with multiplayer[internet]) but i was
#alone so i stopped to work on it....

Its damned cool, isn't it? :-)

#  * Center to selected unit on the turn begining. (Sometimes I don't see
#unit)

This exists.  Go to the options menu, and select the 'center on activated
unit', or something.

#  * Change GUI. Don't use Xaw to create menus, windows, etc.

A GTK+ client is being worked on, and is quite playable

#  * Don't change size of map window. Change the scale || make it
#scrollable

What?

#  * Why to copy Civilization so much ? (You know I had played Civilization
#    "thousand" times and now I want somethng different but with same idea)

As soon as the Civ1 and Civ2 ruleset code is implimented, its planned to
sort of start working on FreeCiv's own.

#  * What about 3D look ? (like SimCity2000 || CaesarII)

Its all in the tiles.  If you are an artist, no coding would be involved to
make a 3D tileset.

#  * What about real-time, not turn based strategy?

FreeCiv is reproducing Civ, which was not designed for as an RTS.  Other
open source projects are aiming for this - don't worry.

#  * Why can't player enter game, after the game starts?

Isn't this a bit pointless, unless the game has just started?

#  * Isn't computer player just a little bit hard (in year 1000BC
#     he had Marines, Artiliery, etc. and i had only Musketers.
#     Don't you mind that is unrealistic ?!? [easy difficulty])

A bit after this time, -I- usually have cruisers, marines, artillery and
transports if I have a good island.  Its not that hard.  Can I play you? :-)

                                matt

   Matt Busigin [Perl/Tcl/Sh/C/C++/Lex/Yacc/HTML UNIX Programmer]
          "Overdrawn?  But I still have checks left!"
     xwing.org Debian Linux: 600 BogoMips AMD K6 300 128mb RAM
belgarath.xwing.org Debian Linux: 230 BogoMips AMD K5 166 128mb RAM
       email : spod(at)ewtoo.org, jediknight(at)xwing.org
     ** Email for 2048 bit PGP public encryption key! **