Re: [Freeciv-Dev] smooth moves don't work

To: nicolas lannier <Nicolas.Lannier@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] smooth moves don't work
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:38:13 -0500

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 07:06:14PM +0000, nicolas lannier was heard to say:
>  It's seems that the smooth moves option don't work correctly on the systems
> i have tested(Linux & NetBSD).  I don't know much about X11 programmation but
> when i add a "usleep(1)" after the XSync call (in move_unit_map_canvas
> function), the moves become smooth. Does anyone know what the problem ?

  Yeah.  The problem is that while the moves are smooth, they currently are
sent as fast as possible so it's not obvious that they really are.  The usleep()
call will cause the whole interface to stop working while the unit is moving
though, I think..that shouldn't be _too_ much of a problem I hope (I'm patching
my client to use it right now ;)

  I think that it would be more helpful if Freeciv would pause slightly (say,
100-200 ms) after each displayed unit move or round of combat, so that us
humans can deal with the new bit of information before the game continues ;)
(this is particularly important for AI players, because they tend to send moves
so quickly that it's impossible to see what they're doing)

  Of course, the synchronous-multiplayer aspect of Freeciv might make that
a problem...

--
  Daniel Burrows

  Seen in a /. posting:
I'm sorry, guys, but he's right. If Linux were any good, don't you think
everybody would have been using it already by the time it was released?
If you had a logical philosophy like Libertarianism you could stop being
emotional about this (don't get me wrong, I respect your intentions!) and you
could evaluate the evidence for what it's worth: 95% market share means it's
the best product. That's how the free market operates. That's all there is to
it.