Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion
From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <andrex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:39:15 -0500

Tony Stuckey wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 03:34:06PM -0500, Andrew E. Schulman wrote:
> > Actually, in a large game, one of the most tedious parts is moving large
> > numbers of units across channels by transports: move to the port, sentry,
> > activate transport, move it to the next port, unload, send transport back,
> > continue journey.  A railroad over water would be much easier.
>
>         The original note specifically mentioned a one or 2 space channel.
> This can be bridged by simply parking a couple of transports in appropriate
> places and walking across.

If I'm not mistaken, "goto" won't allow you to cross channels with
transports in this way; you have to do it manually.  And as Nicolas
mentioned, there's a movement penalty too.

>         Larger channels are why god gave you airlift capability.
> Paratroopers and airports are useful here.  Howitzers may produce a flood
> of death and destruction, but other units are *useful*.  Use them as
> intended.

Airports have small capacity (1/turn, compared to 8/turn for a transport),
and paratroopers don't exist.

>         Tedious bridging of even very large channels can be accomplished by
> staging transport runs -- move offshore onto one transport, run that
> transport out of moves, end next to another transport.  Take all units with
> movement left, send them to the second transport.  Run that transport out
> of moves.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
>         The point is that there are ways to alleviate the tedium.

This *alleviates* tedium? It sounds to me like n-tuple tedium.