Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion

To: "Andrew E. Schulman" <andrex@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Suggestion
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:29:26 -0600

On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 03:34:06PM -0500, Andrew E. Schulman wrote:
> Actually, in a large game, one of the most tedious parts is moving large
> numbers of units across channels by transports: move to the port, sentry,
> activate transport, move it to the next port, unload, send transport back,
> continue journey.  A railroad over water would be much easier.

        The original note specifically mentioned a one or 2 space channel.
This can be bridged by simply parking a couple of transports in appropriate
places and walking across.
        Larger channels are why god gave you airlift capability.
Paratroopers and airports are useful here.  Howitzers may produce a flood
of death and destruction, but other units are *useful*.  Use them as
intended.
        Tedious bridging of even very large channels can be accomplished by
staging transport runs -- move offshore onto one transport, run that
transport out of moves, end next to another transport.  Take all units with
movement left, send them to the second transport.  Run that transport out
of moves.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
        The point is that there are ways to alleviate the tedium.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.