Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: cannot sabotage wonders

Cc: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: cannot sabotage wonders
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:55:52 +1100

Tony Stuckey wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 08:14:31AM -0500, Andrew E. Schulman wrote:
> >> Ah ha... found it in the Civ2 manual.  Page 113: "Diplomats and Spies
> >> never destroy Wonders of the World."
> >
> > So what?  Why are we so slavishly devoted to the Civ1/Civ2 rules?
>
>         Since nobody else has picked up this ball, I'll throw out some
> reasonings.  Fundamentally, it comes down to what people, both internal
> and external, expect of the project.

I'm glad you did. I basically agree with everything you're saying here,
but hadn't thought it through enough to say it as elegantly as you did.

>         Now the web site doesn't truly bill this as a re-implementation of
> Civ2.  So we aren't lying in our promotions if we change some of the rules.

I think it would be useful to have a definitive list of the differences
on the web page (or even in the online help). I certainly got caught out
the first time I played, particularly by the changes to some of the
Wonders (Leonardo's Workshop springs to mind). I realise that there are
probably differences we haven't even noticed yet due the lack of detail
in some of CivIIs documentation, but a list of the major differences
would be good.

>         But all this comes back to the fact that the people at Microprose
> made a game which I have truly enjoyed through the years.  That's an
> impressive feat.  It strongly implies that they have their act together.
> The second implication in that chain is that this is worthy of emulation.

There are very few computer games that have the lastability of Civ for
me. And the job that Microprose did on CivII is really remarkable IMO.
They changed the right things and expanded the game in the right way,
without comprising the spirit or quality of the original. I must admit
I'm a little worried that Civ3 might fail to maintain that record.

Regards,
Steve Hodge