Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ2 vs. Freeciv differences

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ2 vs. Freeciv differences
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:37:07 +0100

Great list ...

> * Engineers and Settlers may combine efforts.

I've planned to implement this for a long time.  If someone else decides
to do it, please let me know.

>   This can probably be done fairly easily by simply adding the
>   activity_count for all units on the tile performing the proper
>   activity,

Exactly.  My patch implemented this with an additional field to the
tile struct, which is wrong because it's better to keep it server-only.
I ran into problems because it seemed to require additional client/server
communication.  Don't remember the details.

> * Rivers are not just Rivers; they're some other base terrain type with a
>   river "feature" overlaid on them (e.g., Plains with a river, or Forest
>   with a river).  I'm not sure of the exact Civ2 game effect of a river.

In Freeciv I think they're grassland ... this may be  Civ I heritage.

>   It makes sense not to offer the Eiffel Tower wonder, since the AI has
>   no concept of peaceful relations.  It only knows war.

But the AI can evolve, and many of us never play against it anyway.

--
Reinier