Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Space race patches

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Space race patches
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:34:06 +1100

Mitch Davis wrote:

> David Pfitzner wrote:
> >
> > Or am I mistaken and the spacerace winner actually wins, and
> > the points are just relevant for the highscore table in Civ1?
>
> The Civ I manual says (from memory) "There are two ways to win.
> The first is to annihilate all other players.  The second is to
> be the first to have your spaceship successfully reach Alpha
> Centauri."
>
> I infer from this that doing the spaceship thang is a win,
> regardless of the points.

Actually, reading it now, it says that you "win" if (as an
alternative to eliminating all rivals) you are still alive
when _any_ spaceship lands, even if its not yours.
(With a justification that you've survived all the centuries
and hazards, blah blah blah.)  But I'd say this is "winning"
in a single-player sense only.  So we really need to consult a
multi-player civ variant...

-- David