Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] rulesets, part1

To: caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] rulesets, part1
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:50:07 +1100

Lindqvist Marko <caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[rulesets, building variants]

>  You can always make it better later.

Indeed.

> Probably different variants
> should have different scale for future compatibility. Currently
> all variants can have values beginning from 0. Instead we should
> reserve values 0 and 1 for barracks only, values 2 and 3 for
> city walls only (work like values 0 and 1 currently). So it
> would later be possible to detect effects building is giving
> from variants. Would it be possible to implement variables this way?

Hmm, maybe, though it would make the current system (before
things get generalized properly) a bit ugly/confusing.
Not sure...

> > If the Granary "effect" was generalized, the server would
> > have to look through all the buildings to see if there was
> > a relevant effect.
>
>  How about making array of pointers to buildings having granary -like
> effect at startup and later check only buildings in that array? Same
> kind of arrays would be created for all different effects.

Yes.  In fact in the rulesets patch (part 2) I did something
very much like this for unit flags (and new "roles", similar to
flags) so that, eg, the server can quickly iterate through units
with a given flag or role.

Regards,
-- David