Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] rulesets, part2

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] rulesets, part2
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:25:54 +1100

Despite my efforts to split off independent parts of my rulesets
patch, the remaining "core" changes still make a rather large
diff, so rather than post the diff here, I've put it at:

http://msowww.anu.edu.au/~dwp/freeciv/patches/rs_part2.diff.gz

(Although a large part of that size is the new data files,
and the diff-removal of the previous data tables etc.)

This patch must be applied after rs_part1.diff
(previous email, or corresponding url to above).

Highlights of this patch:

---- New files:

README.rulesets
        Documentation for users and developers.

server/{ruleset.h, ruleset.c}
        New functions to read in ruleset datafiles.
        New functions to send ruleset information to the client.

data/default/{techs.ruleset,units.ruleset,buildings.ruleset}
        Rules datafiles for "standard-freeciv" (ie pre-rulesets).

data/civ1/{techs.ruleset,units.ruleset,buildings.ruleset}
        Rules datafiles for Civ1-style.

data/civ1.serv
        File to set server options to get best approximation to Civ1,
        to be used with the server -r command line option.

---- Main changes:  (see also README.rulesets)

New server options: To specify techs, units, buildings.

Read/load rulesets: Changes to server to read in rulesets
at appropriate time, and send information to clients.
Save/load ruleset tags to/from savefile.

Unit flags/roles: See comments in common/unit.h; also lots of related
changes in the AI using new role/flag functions to replace hardwired
unit types.

Help system changes: Display improvement and wonder variants;
some parts made more dynamic so help reflects rules.

Communication: New packets to communicate ruleset information on
units, techs, improvements, and new fields in game_info.

Removed: Old hardwired unit_type, advances, improvement_type tables;
old set_civ_style() functions.

Capability: new capability string component: "+rulesets" (so both
server and client must know about rulesets).

----

Regards,
-- David