Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] rulesets, part1

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] rulesets, part1
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:15:08 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Yesterday I checked in some changes which were written as
> part of rulesets development, but which in themselves were
> more-or-less independent of rulesets.

I am happy that it is being done in this way, since the ruleset
patch is huge, and it makes it much easier to discuss it. Overall,
though, the patch seems very, very good.

> Changes included are:
>
> -- New variant field to improvement_type struct, to specify
> variant improvement effects.  Some effects implemented, but
> not documented in this patch. New functions improvement_variant(),
> and player_owns_active_govchange_wonder().

I am not so sure this is a good way to handle this. Instead
of going away from hard-wiring implementation, this brings
us right back into the inflexibility of the civstyle 1 & 2
scheme. A much better (but, I must admit, somewhat harder)
approach would be to add two new variables to the wonder
struct (and the ruleset file), one which controls the nature
of the "effects" of the wonder, and another which controls
the implementation of this effect (how many become happy,
how many content, if it does this or that etc).

Now the list of wonders can be totally rewritten.

Yours,
Per