Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] some new unit graphics

Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] some new unit graphics
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:37:12 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a solution would be to make tilesets a user preference, and
> > simply ship with several.
>
> I agree entirely.  You can already more-or-less do this by moving
> files around and/or adjusting FREECIV_DATADIR, but a nicer way
> to select tiles would be good.  Not quite sure what/how though.
> Maybe a selection thingy as part of the connection dialog?
> (With the default stored in the client settings.)

It might be nice to let the client preform run time tile set switching.  It
would be difficult though.  Freeing and then reloading the tiles should be
doable.  I already made it to that the title graphic is freed after the game
start to save memory, and reloaded when then server disconnects.

The problem is that once the pixmaps are freed there can be no more references
to them.  In order to do this, and get the correct widget sizes, the whole
widget tree will need to be deleted and recreated.  There will probably be
a number of problems with doing that.