Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Segmentation fault from civclient

To: roystgnr@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, roystgnr@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Segmentation fault from civclient
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 22:08:47 +1100

Roy Stogner wrote:

> I've received this segfault with versions 1.7.0 (from the binary RPM)
> and 1.7.2 (from the 171-172 patch applied to the source RPM, then
> built with gcc 2.7.2.3).

> My system looks like:

>         libXaw.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6 (0x40028000)

Just to check: Is this the real Xaw and not Xaw3d or something?

> The segfault occurs in xmain.c, line 593, at the call:
>
>   unit_info_label = XtVaCreateManagedWidget("unitinfolabel",
>                                           labelWidgetClass,
>                                           left_column_form,
>                                           NULL);

One thing to check is whether you have an old version of the
freeciv Xdefaults file (data/Freeciv in the distribution)
hanging around somewhere and perhaps messing things up.

> Oh, as long as I'm writing: I'd like to contribute graphics, but have
> some questions:
>
> Is there any reason why the tileset is limited to a 32 color palette?
> The graphics could be done a lot better by simply upping the number of
> colors used.

I think it would be nice for the "standard" graphics to have a
fairly small number of colours to give good results on 8bpp systems,
but a modest increase should be fine if it gives good results.

> Is there any support planned for viewing maps at different scales?  It
> looked like the tile size was pretty hard-coded, but I have hope.

Actually, using different sized tiles works fine as it is now,
but you can't change the viewing size during the game, if thats
what you mean.
I prefer small tiles (eg the current 30x30) because I only use
an 800x600 screen, and I want to see as much of the map as I can.
(Since I play freeciv as a strategy game, not eye candy ;->
Which is not to say I wouldn't support improved graphics, and other
bells and whistles (ie, sound :-) if they don't interfere with the
game...

-- David