Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Blood's Music II

To: randal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Blood's Music II
From: Peter Dam Mains <lancelot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:53:35 +0100 (MET)

>   Ok. Now that we are doing away with "Blood's Music II", I thought,
> "you know, where did that come from?" I don't recall hearing a good
> explanation other than maybe it was some kind of inside joke of the
> original authors.
>
>   I did a search and found xpilot maps that were named Blood's Music
> and Blood's Music II. The author listed for Blood's Music is:
> "Patrick Kenny". Authors for Blood's Music II are "Blood, TIMID,
> DR.DEATH" so that doesn't help much.
>
>   If interested, you can view the maps at:
> http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/home/caxd/xpilot/maplist.html
> and http://www.sdsu.edu/~boyns/maps/
>
>   I managed to email with Patrick Kenny. All he had to offer was:
> >
> > My only guess is that the person who did the map for freeciv also played
> > xpilot, and liked my map sooo much ... :)
> > -pk
> >

>   So that isn't very helpful either. Does anyone know the answer to
> this? If we get a good or interesting or funny answer, perhaps an
> entry could go in the FAQ. It might begin the creation of freeciv
> lore, which, IMHO, is an important part of a number of games (xpilot,
> netrek, etc).

Patrick Kenny is absolutely correct, Peter Unold and I was discussing
what should be sent to the metaserver by default, and since we were
used to the Xpilot metaserver, and Blood's Music II is almost the only
acceptable map to play, we decided that it was the right choice. :)
We at Daimi have wasted a considerable amount of time playing Xpilot,
and have some of the best players in the world. Often WorldCups in
Xpilot are arranged, where people from all over the world, mainly
Europe, meet to do battle, and it's always the same map we use,
Blood's Music II.

/Peter Dam Mains