Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] zoc from boats, was Re: [Freeciv] Some remarks

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] zoc from boats, was Re: [Freeciv] Some remarks
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:46:54 +1100

Mitch Davis wrote:

> CivNet never prevented me from unloading next to an enemy city or
> unit:
>
>      .....L    ( . = water )
>      ...TLL    ( T = transport )
>      ..LExL    ( L = land )
>      ..LLLL    ( E = enemy unit )
>                ( x = where I want to go )
>
> CivNet lets me unload from the transport T to x, even though if
> the transport were on land, this would be prevented by ZOC because
> I'd be "going across the face of" enemy unit E.

Right, its the same in Civ1, and I've heard that its the same in Civ2.
"Units moving from a boat at sea onto land are not affected by ZOC".

So I think we should change this in freeciv.

Though probably not before 1.7.2, because there are AI issues.
That is, currently the AI goes to some trouble to find places to
unload to get around the current freeciv ZOC rules in this respect;
removing those calcs is _probably_ straightforward, but I wouldn't
want to guarantee getting it right.

I consider this another case of: its been that way in freeciv
for a long time, so it can stay that way a little longer...

-- David