Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] CVS: dwp: Autogenerated files from previous batch of c

To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] CVS: dwp: Autogenerated files from previous batch of chan...
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:19:20 +1100

Scott Goehring wrote:

> "David" == David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> David> For: means people using cvs don't need automake/autoconf, as
> David> above.
>
> Automake & autoconf output files may be system dependent.

Really?  How so?

> Anyone using
> CVS should necessarily be using automake & autoconf.
>
> We've been over this problem with the Gnome project.  It is simply
> wrong to put autogenerated files in CVS.

But freeciv isn't the Gnome project, and we may have different
circumstances or priorities.  Could you please give more information
on how Gnome came to that conclusion?

For freeciv, I see definite advantages in including the
"developer-autogenerated" files we currently include, mainly:
more potential users, more potential developers, and more potential
development systems.  (That is, by not requiring that everyone,
and everywhere, have working automake and autoconf).

The disadvantages of including the files seem fairly minor,
and mainly restricted to those few people (in freeciv) who
make cvs changes which affect the autogenerated files.
(Eg, making sure the files stay up-to-date, and that those who
make such checkins use the same versions of automake/autoconf.)

-- David