Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] "latest", cvs change logs

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] "latest", cvs change logs
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:44:43 +1100

I wrote:

> I notice freeciv anonymous cvs access is working again.

http://www.freeciv.org/latest.html is also back in action.

Also available (and from latest.html) is
  ftp://www.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/latest/changes.txt
which is an experimental up-to-date-current pseudo-changelog.
Its not formated as nicely as a ChangeLog, and it is in the
wrong order (you have to go to the end of the file to find the
most recent changes), and for any checkins which span multiple
directories you get multiple entries with the same log message,
which is annoying but it seems not easy to fix.
(But it does have the information!)

It would be trivial to have the additions to this file also sent
to a mailing list (actually, as a test they are currently being
sent to me, so it really is trivial: just change the email address).

Would this be useful/necessary? (in addition to the above changes.txt)

My opinion is that we might as well have both.  I would think a
mailing list called freeciv-cvs (@freeciv.org/complete.org),
which anyone can join, but which only accepts submissions from
freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (where the log messages will come from),
and with Reply-To set to freeciv-dev.

As with changes.txt, for checkins which span multiple directories
there will be multiple emails with duplicate log messages.  I'm working
on some perl which should fix this and also improve formating.

Regards,
-- David