Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to save/restore options and filters

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to save/restore options and filters
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 03:44:57 -0700 (PDT)

On 23 Oct 1998, Massimo Campostrini wrote:
> "Andrew E. Schulman" <andrex@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Do we really need both "Message options" and "Message filter" under the
> > "Game" menu?  The former is a subset of the latter.
>
> "Message options" must go.

Prehaps it should be integrated into the message filter dialog?  And then
renamed back to message options, because I like that name better.

If you try the message options, you will see that they are very different from
the message filter.  They cause a special pop-up window for each individual
message of the specific type.  It actually took me a while before I realized
this, since I never bothered to turn them on.

> Here is my patch (against cvs-Oct-22) to implement save/restore of
> options and message filters.  You need to save explicitly (from the
> options or from the filters window); the file name will be
> $FREECIV_OPT if it's setenv'd, otherwise ~/.civclient.cfg.  The file
> will be loaded automatically at startup.

How about changing the name to .civrc or .civclientrc to be more consistant
with other configuration files?  I have 74 dot files in my home dir, and none
end in '.cfg'.  23 have rc names though.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho (xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)                   -- Metallica  |