Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] That client memory leak

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] That client memory leak
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 02:47:19 -0700 (PDT)

I've tracked down the memory leak in the client to the unit movement code.
The XSync(), in move_unit_map_canvas(), sometimes causes memory to be
allocated.  This doesn't always happen when a unit moves.  It seems that only
units moved by aiplayers will do this.

Telling XSync to discard the events in the queue will fix the leak, but isn't
the right thing to do.  I can see how the ai going nuts and moving lots of
units very fast could cause a large number of queued events to build up, but
it doesn't explain why the client's memory just keeps growing when it happens.

I've send this to both mailing lists.  I think things should move over to
the complete.org mailing list, because canis_l is insane.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |
|Trent Piepho (xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)                   -- Metallica  |