Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Tech and Ancient Units

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Tech and Ancient Units
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 15:37:45 -0700

scripsit Wawrzyniec Niewodniczañski:

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 07:43:57AM -0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> >
> > scripsit Per I. Mathisen:
> >
> > > On Tue, 21 May 2002, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
>
> > You missed Social Democracy.  This is very different from Liberal
> > Democracy, in that you will have much less unhappiness because the poor
> > have a `safety net'.  Pure liberalism is very brutal (think
> > 1900-era commerce).
> But there is no difference from Dictatorship, belive my. I live in Poland
> a remember tanks on street, bullet which nearly killed my father (nearly,
> because, somebody was on path od shot). You can belive  SD is very brutal
> too.

Social Democracy does not, in normal English usage, refer to the Warsaw
Pact governments like Poland's, but to a form of parliamentary
government which takes reponsibility for the social welfare of the
nation, for example by providing health care and education for the citizens.
Classic liberalism guarantees civil liberties, but provides no social
welfare programs -- if you don't work, you starve.  Modern Sweden is a
better example of SD than 1980s Poland.

Just because the government of a country uses the word `democratic'
doesn't mean it is!  The Democratic People's Republic of Korea isn't
democratic, popular, or republican -- it's more like an absolute monarchy.

Totalitarian dictatorship may call itself many things . . .

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul