Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: usage of flags from www.fotw.net (was: Nations class

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: usage of flags from www.fotw.net (was: Nations classification again)
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 21:16:04 -0500

Reinier Post wrote:

> But using these flags would definitely require (c) clearance from them.

I would avoid it, because mixing non-GPL'd material into a GPL'd product
is asking for trouble.

Among other possible problems, notice this:

"if you distribute our materials by a non-Internet way (e.g., floppy disks
or CD-ROM) you cannot sell these media"

That would mean that Freeciv could not be included on the standard Linux
distribution disks, nor on auxiliary disks such as Red Hat's "Powertools",
because the media is often sold.  I believe it is alread included on some
such media.

Better to just draw our own flags.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas