Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Offensive Nations

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Offensive Nations
From: Todd Goodman <tsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 14:43:43 -0400

This whole debate is certainly something that bothers many people who
help develop and play Freeciv.

IMHO the only solution to these issues is to make the default
distribution contain only a limited set of nations (say, the original
Civ-II nation set only because it removes discussion of whether a nation
should be included/excluded).

Additional nations could then be available via external mod packs.

Speaking for myself, I agree with all posters who have pointed out that
all nations have less than sterling histories.  As a *game* though, I
find it very satisfying to play against an "evil" opponent and send
them straight to hell (figuratively speaking).

None of that is a good reason to include every "nation" under the sun in
the default distribution, IMHO, but I'd certainly grab many of the
available mod packs myself.

Just my two cents.

Todd