Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: July 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fascism patch
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:42:52 +0200

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 02:28:20PM +0200, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > Some people claim that freeciv would be illegal in .de,
> > but as they haven't shown any precedence, I think these
> > claims are plainly bogus.
>
> Tomasz you should read Dirk Stoecker's posting (from Sat, 16:04)
> again. He translated the according German law. §86a/2 clearly
> shows the problem.
>
> § 86. Distribution of propaganda of unconstitutional organisations.
> (1) Anyone distributing propaganda
>   1. of parties declared unconstitutional by "Bundesverfassungsgericht" or
>      parties beeing replacements of these,
>   2. of forbidden unions (because beeing against constituition or
>      international understanding) or unions beeing replacment of these,
>   3. of governments, unions outside this borders of this law working
>      in purpose of parties of number 1 or 2 or
>   4. which are destinated to continue the purposes of National Sozialistic
>      organisations,
> in this country, producing it for distribution, stores, imports, exports,
> making publically available is punished with 3 years prison or needs to pay
> money.
> (2) Propaganda in sense of part 1 are only Schriften (§ 11 Abs. 3), with
> contexts
> against free democracy or the idea of international understanding.
> (3) Part 1 does not count, if the propaganda is directect towards education,
> defense of unconstitutional purposes, art, science, research, reporting or
> past or history and purposes like these.
> (4) In case of little fault punishment may be omitted.
>
> §86a. Using signs of unconstitutional organisations.
> (1) Anyone will be punished with 3 years prison or money payment, when
>   1. distributing or publishing signs of parties shown in $86 part 1 number
> 1,2
>      and 4 or using them in meetings or Schriften (§ 11 Abs. 3) distributed
> by him,
>   2. producing, storing, importing or exporting products containing such signs
>      for distribution in and outside the country in the way described in
>      number 1.
> (2) Signs in that sense are flags, stickers, parts of uniforms, slogans and
> salutations. Signs, which may be confused with the ones state in sentence 1
> are handled equal.
> (3) § 86 part 3 and 4 count accordingly.

For me, §86a(2) is clearly about phisical objects.
If it's not, show me precedent.
If it weren't, books, images etc. would be included to list.
Also §86a(3)->§86(3) says we are secured.

I know european laws tend to be less precedent-driven than US law,
but please show any case even roughly similar to our.

> > There is one more reason why I don't agree with this exclusion.
> >
> > Flags aren't diffed well in curent scheme (and would diff even worse with
> > binary flagset format), so every time new flag wil be added to freeciv,
> > Nazi.patch will have to be remade. If you can find nice scheme one
> > can add this flag to any flagset, exclusion will be ok.
>
> Well - one solution could be inclusion of the of the flags
> into the nation.rulesets. The xpm format shows how this can
> be done with pure ascii data.

But it will be impossible to view it with most image viewers then.

> Another solution would be using ImageMagick for image "patching".
> (Have a look into "man combine" for details.)

It is much much less wide-spread than GNU diff.