Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: March 2005:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Thanks for reply Andrew

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Thanks for reply Andrew
From: Charles Esson <charleses@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 03:15:20 -0500

I assume the teams share research and resource in which case what your saying
is an ai player is not quite as 1/3 as dumb as a good player, only 1/2 as
dumb. It also cheats ( uses knowedge it should not know).

I think the right way to have fun doing this is to create an ai client.

Several advantages.

1) More time available, if ran if on a different machine. As part of server ai
code slows down game play for all, so resource allocation has to be limited.
2) It can't cheat.
3) If a nice framework is built, those of us with a really warped sense of fun
can battle ai clients; even enter them into comps with real players.
4) Regression testing of the server can be done with ai clients, if the
framework is nice the desired tests can be created using the framework.

5) Keeps something that needs to be complex out of server regression testing.

What does the framework look like? Need to take the lessons in the server code
and think about that for a while.

Regards
Charles