Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: October 2004:
[freeciv-ai] (PR#10561) Re: AI starts many wonders but never finishes an

To: dj67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] (PR#10561) Re: AI starts many wonders but never finishes any
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:12:23 -0700

I think the fundamental problem is that attack unit want is so high that
it drowns out anything else. For example:

want to build Darwins reise with 251
want to build Fabrikk with 139
want to build Resirkuleringsstasjon with 116
want to build Stemmerett for kvinner with 249
military advisor choice: Howitzer (want 3934)

This bloated value, and this is a rather safe city (danger is 0, urgency
for some reason is 84), both ensures we don't build any buildings, but
also that we spend way too much money on buying production with gold.

With a little bit of deferred gratification, it could build a Factory,
then an Mfg Plant and perhaps a power plant, and could pump out attack
units at a much faster rate.

I'm not sure how to fix this problem. If we just increase the want for
buildings, we might drown out attack units early in the game; similarly
if we reduce want for attack units. Perhaps a kind of cap on this want
is needed. Or say that every N item we build should not be an attacker.