Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: October 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Discussion about ai

Subject: [freeciv-ai] Discussion about ai
From: Guillermo López Alejos <glalejos@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:26:45 +0200

Hi everyone,

Long time since my last post. Perhaps some of you can remember that I
was developing my final career project (working on the text interface
Puppeteer). Now my final career project is finished and I want to
acknowledge everyone for the help given during my project.

This project has leaded me to think about the design of the AI in
FreeCiv. I believe that the best (but most difficult) design for the
AI is to have the AI player completely separated from the FreeCiv code
(both CivServer and CivClient). Then the AI player controls the
CivClient trough an appropriate interface (in my case, Puppeteer), so
it's treated as another "usual" player.

I have three (good :) reasons for doing this:
    - FreeCiv code doesn't need to handle the AI players data structures.
    - The AI player can be implemented in a language different than C.
CLIPS (or perhaps CLISP) are more appropriated languages for this.
    - The AI player is seen by the rest of the components of the game
as a human player.

Best regards,

Guillermo