Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: September 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10216) AI Builds Too Many Transports

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10216) AI Builds Too Many Transports
From: "Benedict Adamson" <badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:24:52 -0700

I'm new here, so I'm trying to understand the code. Are the following
comments correct or plausible?

I guess the logic for deciding whether to build another transport has a
problem.

The domestic_advisor_choose_build function is the function that decides
whether, but only if it is told that there is no current transport
available. That information comes through pcity->ai.founder_want, and is
set by the contemplate_new_city function, which uses the
find_best_city_placement function. That function in turn uses
aiferry_find_boat to determine whether any empty ferries can travel to
the city. If there are no empty ferries, or none can travel to the city,
the conclusion is that the city should build a ferry.

Consider a turn on which it just so happens that there are no ferries
free. Many (every?) coastal cities that want to send settlers will
conclude that they must build a ferry, eventually resulting in many more
ferries than necessary.

The cause of this problem might therefore be that ferries should be
considered a strategic resource that is managed centrally, rather than
on a per-city basis. That is the subject of PR#8992.