Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Settler code plans

To: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Settler code plans
From: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:52:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 01:30:54PM +0000, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> > On game start, analyze the map.
>
> This will require an omniscent AI, right?

It requires an AI that knows the map beforehand, yes. Not necessarily an
AI that can see through FoW.

(We can fudge this by only considering tiles that have been explored. But
the positions must be placed while in omniscient mode.)

> As you may guessing, I don't like omniscent AI's ...

Well, there is a reason you won't find a non-omniscient AI in any
commercial game similar to Freeciv (that I know of). It is because it is
harder to code (and requires more CPU) by several orders of magnitude.

I consider writing a decent non-omniscient AI a university-level research
project, not a Freeciv project goal.