Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: June 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Coments on AI

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Coments on AI
From: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:29:05 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:
> >  Since the commit of the rampage_want and related functions, the ones
> > that allow an armour to attack an objective two-three tiles away in the
> > same turn, the units defending the cities use to attack more often. I
> > think this is bad!
> >
> >  You can always have two units to attack a city. This first will die
> > or survive, but the second will conquer the city, because the defend is
> > damaged or has dead in the previous attack.
> >
> >  And worst, they often attack even though the attacking unit is in a
> > hill or forest!!
>
> In a game 1-2 weeks ago I saw this more aggressive habit, and I thought this
> not being too bad. But I also saw that good defended cities do this until
> they are *empty*. The city should keep at least some good defending units.
>
> Even if attacking gives a better chance to win, this is not necessarily a
> better chance to survive: to overcome a defender you need two moves, one to
> destroy it, and another to enter the city.

Which is the better strategy for one-to-one unit combat can easily and
definitely be calculated. The server autoattack patch did this (except it
did not take into account power-reduction-due-to-movement).

However, things get more complicated when there are or may be multiple
attackers...  More ideas on what the AI _should_ be doing are welcomed.