Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: January 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#6567) AI has too many boats.

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#6567) AI has too many boats.
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:58:07 -0800

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Guest wrote:
> > Additional problem: after dropping off passengers, boat
> > goes to nearest allied city and waits, sometimes forever
> > (if the city is on the same continant as the passengers went
> > to). I have found thirty boats in one such city before.
>
> Which version are you testing? This was significantly improved in CVS, and
> slightly improved in 1.14.1.
>
> > I would suggest this as an alternative: when free, move
> > to wherever a boat is being built. If it arrives while the
> > boat is being built, *change owner* to the city it is in, and
> > cancel the boat to select the next item (usually an offensive
> > unit).
>
> That is not such a bad idea.

Yes, a good idea.  I believe the AI will switch production automatically.

I think whoever suggested it should make a patch.  The only problem I see
is a boat that zigzags between two cities that are building a boat.
Possibly this can be solved by adding bool need_boat to choice struct.
Then a free boat will
(1) look for existing passangers
(2) look for virtual passengers in the city it's in
(3) look for virtual passengers elsewhere (indicated by the city building
a boat).

I am planning to change the city building code so that it builds the unit
first if there are free boats somewhere, but the above code can be
incorporated there as well.