Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: November 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6946) Settler AI optimization

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6946) Settler AI optimization
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:50:24 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 07:58:08AM -0800, Guest wrote:

>>Hi, i got a few ideas for optimizing settler AI and improving settlers in
>>general.
>>
>>First of all, my theory is that there is no real big perfomance problems
>>before the invention of railroads. (there is not many settlers working yet)
>>
>>Now when railroad has been invented we have this interesting situation that
>>moving along them is for free, so if you're on a connected railroad net, then
>>moving from one point on this net to another is free (aslong you're certain
>>there is no enemy blocking *sigh*).

AFAICT the slowdown in AI settlers is not in the server but in the
client.  If a settlers moves across the continent to build a road, this
may take only 1 move but the client has lots of drawing to do.  Then
another settler right next to the road now being built moves back across
the continent to build a road next to where the first settlers was
originally.  And just like that, the drawing is 10x slower than it needs
to be.

A solution is that we can't handle settlers individually but must
consider them as a group.  Prioritize improvements to make and assign
the closest settler to each.  Or something like that.

jason