Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: November 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: veteran cleanup

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: veteran cleanup
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:57:04 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I've backported and improved some AI changes from veteran level patch.
> Makes use of do_make_unit_veteran() where it wasn't. Attached. Committed.

The main change is that we do not assume that barracks will be built
before we built any military guys.  While *always* building barracks is
not obviously good, changing it might backfire: if attacking with a
non-vet unit is futile, the city will never attempt to build mil. units
and therefore will never build barracks -- a vicious circle.

This is my general idea for building barracks:  they should be built if
(a) veteran unit has higher want even if we take the cost of barracks into
account
or
(b) the city has been deciding to go for military unit for many turns in
recent history -- this can be realised by bumping up the barracks want
every time the city decides to built an attacker (and introducing some
time-decay for the want).