Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#4137) Auto-Explore with new path-finding

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#4137) Auto-Explore with new path-finding
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 05:35:02 -0700

While we're at this, perhaps we could move auto-explore to the client?
AFAIK there is only one function that is different from server AI use and
human use, and that function can be passed by reference. Also we can pass
in by reference an extra_want function so that the AI can increase explore
want for tiles around its cities or tiles where it can guess is closer to
the action/possible expansions. We'd have to remove part 3 (go home) but
that is no loss.

So we'd have

        bool ai_manage_explorer(struct unit *punit,
                bool (*move_unit) (struct unit *punit, int x, int y),
                int (*extra_want) (int x, int y));

What do you think, is it feasible?

Advantages: Generalising the code, can be used in client AI/agent
Disadvantages: Slows down client (if lag), more communication with server